Tuesday, January 22, 2008

CHIMPS PLO

I struggled to 7th out of 20 in CHIMPS PLO tonight, seeing the flop in only 18 of 83 hands, and winning 8 pots all night - two of those preflop.

All night long, "AZ DonkeyHerder" is leading the tourney, but man oh man is he getting there through some questionable play and some luck. Several called him out for this, none more, uhhh...eloquently than Zerbet. Of course.

Finally, with the blinds at 80/160 and 1120 chips in my stack, I'm dealt Ah Qh 9h Js and figure it's time to make my move. I bet pot preflop and only "AZ" calls me. The flop is 8s 9c As and it's go time for my short stack. He calls me with A8, no spade draw, and his overcard is the same as one of mine - a Jack. He's drawing to two 8s and runner 5s, plus a runner 6-7 for the gutshot, or about 4 outs. I'm 80% to win on the flop, 90% after the turn.

Let's take a look at what transpired:


The biggest question is why is he in the hand in the first place - other than for the gutteral thrill of felting the short stack..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw your post. I admit I got very lucky in this tourney. It was my 2nd PLO tourney ever and it showed. Regarding this hand I believe I was in the blind and you were in the cutoff. You could have been trying to steal and I had a decent hand. I flopped top and bottom while you flopped top 2. I thought I was good, obv not and then got lucky. Maybe the play was not to call preflop at all, I'm not that good to know that but I think my flop play was not bad.

DJM said...

First off...holy crap, someone reads this blog!

Second, thanks for the post. You took some grief last night - some of it justified, but of course not to the extent it was dished out. That's typical of that group.

In this hand, my question is with your call of my pot-size preflop raise. I'm surely not a PLO expert, but I try to play preflop by these guidelines:
a) Are all your cards working together (i.e. no "danglers")?
b) What hands are you trying to make with them?

You started with 5s Ac 8d Jd, a hand that has (a) no pair, (b) only two and three gappers to straights, only one of which is strong (the AJ), (c) a J-high potential flush draw - i.e. an unsuited Ace.

Compare that to my hand: Ah Qh 9h Js which has (a) no pair, (b) a connected QJ, one gappers (AQ, 9J) and two gappers (Q9, AJ), plus (c) a suited Ace, albeit with one counterfeited heart. Not the greatest PLO hand, but a hand I'm playing 100% of the time as first to enter from the cutoff.

Of course, you did have position and you did have a huge stack, and you could be reasonably certain that you'd only have to tangle with me and my 1100 or so sized chip stack. With ~10k in chips, you're still at 9k and the chip leader if you lose this tussle.

Still I think the risk isn't worth that reward with this hand. Plus the button had just gone through me, so I've got a few hands before the blinds come around again and I have some flexibility to pick and choose my starting hands. Hopefully you noticed I played pretty damn tight and didn't enter pots without a decent starting hand.

I can't kill your decision to play this - I think it was suboptimal - but what really got me was that you were such a dog after we got the money in, and still found the way to win the hand. Your A was blocked, your J was blocked, you couldn't make a straight w/o runner runners. Just a brutally bad beat on the hand that I thought would finally get me back into things.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reply DJM...of course all your points are correct. I had no business calling pre-flop. I definetly need to read up on Omaha but like I said I have never really played PLO before.

Concerning the grief, it is expected when you play with guys who all know each other (I did feel kinda like an outsider) and especially when you suck out as many times as I did. None of it bothered me. I'll be back next week for the nlh w/rebuys which is a game I know substantially better.