Monday, March 24, 2008

The latest home game debacle

It's comical, though I did make a few critical errors.  

Early on, I'm dealt A8o in late position and decide to see a flop.  Long story short, an A flops, it's min-bet in front of me on every street and I just call because you never know what these people might have.  My A8 outkicked A6 and A4.  Wow. 

Not a lot of action for a while thereafter.  

At the 100/200 level, EP makes it 500 to go.  I look down at two black aces and pop it to 1500.  He calls, all others get out of the way.  The flop is Q-high, rainbow.  He checks and I shove.  I've not seen this guy check raise before, and as he shuffles his chips and thinks, I know I'm ahead.  Finally he calls with QJ.  Yeah, I understand the call, but I'm sending one heck of a strong signal that I'm beating the pants off of top pair.  As usual, a J peels off on the turn and I'm short-stacked.  

I chip back up a bit, getting no takers when I shove with AJo, and getting one taker when I shove with 77, only to get called by TT.  Ah but the glorious 7 flops and I take that pot.  This was a recurring theme for the evening - at least the middle part of the evening.  Get your chips in bad = win the pot.  

A couple of key hands passed me by at these levels.  First with QT in MP, I decide to pass on the hand.  I would've flopped top pair, turned two pair (Queens & Tens), and taken the hand down.  What won this hand, you ask?  72o won when the 7 played as top kicker to a board that everyone missed.  Ye Gods.  

Soon thereafter, UTG limps in and UTG+1, whom I have covered approximately 4:3 shoves.  I look down at AQo.  Behind me are an aggressive guy and a calling station, plus UTG, who I see starting to stack up his chips as if he's going to call.  I've got a good hand, but just a drawing hand, and I figure it's quite likely that I'm going to have to battle three-ways with the hand, so I fold it.  UTG did call...with K8o vs. UTG+1's KQo.  Yikes, I had UTG+1 crushed, and had them both crushed when an A fell on the flop.  I missed a HUGE opportunity to get some breathing room here.  

It begs the question - am I that effing tight?  What the hell am I waiting for?  I think that this was the right play given my position and the potential action behind me, but still.  

Soon thereafter, I think at the 200/400 level, I'm in the BB with AJs and around 7k chips.  It's four-handed now.  UTG made it 2x BB - a play I've seen him make when he tends to have speculative hands (low pairs, weak aces, perhaps connectors).  It folds around to me and I shove.  He and I have the same stack size.  He instacalls with AQo.  Cripes.  I don't improve and I'm done.  I probably should've seen a flop - didn't need to make a move here for my tournament life - but I thought I could induce a fold.  I misread his strength in the hand. 

Here's what kills me.  When I flip over my AJs in that final hand, he says "well, we're close".  Uh, NO WE ARE NOT.   Being suited gets me about .05 points of equity - that's it. 
http://twodimes.net/h/?z=399870
pokenum  -h ad jd  - ac qs
Holdem Hi: 1712304 enumerated boards
cards      win   %win     lose  %lose    tie  %tie     EV
Ad Jd   479013  27.97  1139313  66.54  93978  5.49  0.307
Qs Ac  1139313  66.54   479013  27.97  93978  5.49  0.693

This guy's card catching ability continues to simply astound me.  He will play any A, K, or Q and won numerous pots with top pair/garbage kicker.  In one hand, on a board that flopped 2 3 5, our strongest player shoved with JJ.  Luckbox calls with Jc2c and hits runner runner flush cards to KO the strong player.  Then four handed when I land AJ he wakes up with AQ and dominates me.  Later in the evening, he KOs the aforementioned calling station in 3rd place when his AKs outraces KK and a flopped set of kings - the nut flush lands on the river. 

Make no mistake, he's a strong player and he picks his spots very well and is very good at putting pressure on other people.  He's also a five-star trap candidate, and I'll be damned if I ever catch a good trapping hand against him. 

I host in April, so I'm guaranteed to donk it off early.


No comments: