Friday, February 20, 2009

Getting short-stacked

More of the same last night.  3 or 4 SNGs...cashed in none.  Missed out in the $5 KO tourney as well.  No particularly horrible beats that I can recall...last night was more of an issue about getting short-stacked and being unable to overcome it. 
 
The recurring theme seems to be as follows:
* I'm getting NO starting hands of merit.  Again, I do not have tracking software (what am I going to buy it with at this bankroll??), so I cannot prove this, but *man* it's tough to win pots when you're bringing a knife to a gunfight.
 
* Related: when I do pick up something, I seem to be missing tons of flops.  Last night I flopped exactly zero sets, and missed alot when I was able to see cheap flops with AJ, AQ, KQs, etc.
 
* I seem to be getting check-raised and pushed around much more frequently as of late.  This is where I wonder how much people are looking at Sharkscope or some other tracking tool when they play me.  My sharkscope graph has to look like the Dow for the last few months.  How many people are referencing these while I'm sitting at the table with them?  The amount of "playing back" and check raising, etc. that I'm encountering is noticeably higher.
 
* I'm bluffing less.  In the past, I've not needed to bluff much...particularly at the early levels...to do damage in SNGs.  I've saved that for near the bubble when people's sphincters tighten up.  I do know that bluffing more and showing down weak trash is NOT the way to get out of this cycle. 
 
I'm getting eliminated 4th/5th quite a lot in SNGs...and making it to the top 20-30% of a lot of these MTTs (AIPS event I excluded), but never feel like I'm in a position to get real deep.  I have to do something here...but what?
 
 

No comments: