Thursday, February 26, 2009

PLO Freeroll

The best thing about winning a seat into AIPS in two weeks is that I have no need to participate in next week's freeroll. 
 
My God what a horrendous display of donkitude, highlighted by the player to my right, Eskimosomethingorother (hereafter: Sir Donk), who barely saw a pot he didn't splash around in.  And I'll be damned if he didn't get slugged in the face by the virtual deck.  He jacked his stack up to around $23k by the break - and that was also the key to my success.  
 
I just sat back and folded.  Got below 1000 chips, doubled up through Sir Donk.  I believe that every pot I won came largely at this guy's expense - surely most of them came that way.  
 
Here's the highlight hand.  I believe this is at the 150/300 level and I have about 3000 chips, but that's purely from memory  Anyway, in the SB I have KKxx, suited in spades.  About five limpers come along and I jump in for the half-price ride too.  The flop is A42, all spades.  Bingo.  This is screaming check-raise and that's exactly what I do.  It checks around to Sir Donk and he fires a smallish bet at it.  I go 3/4 pot on top of him...and it folds back around, where the Sir promptly calls. 
 
The turn is a 4, pairing the board, and all of a sudden I just might be effed.  Here, with the stack size I have left, I have to shove.  Check-folding is not a viable option at this level. 
 
He calls...he doesn't have a pocket pair, he doesn't have a 4, and he doesn't have the spade flush.  I forget what he had, but it was, for all intents and purposes, *air*. 
 
This gave me ~6500 chips and I folded my way into the seat from there.  This guy whittled his stack from $23k down to about $13k in a *snap* before finally realizing what he was doing and then sitting out the rest. 
 
One more observation - the number of people who kept driving action toward the bubble was surprising.  I don't play a lot of freerolls, and I expect tons of amateurish play, but the difference between finishing 1st and 28th in these is exactly zero.  No need to be a hero and put your stack at risk. 
 
At least the format is fast.  Started at 9PM...done by 10:45ish.
 
Where were the Brazilians?

No comments: