Sunday, February 01, 2009

XLIII Recap

The game that was well on it's way to being another mediocre Super Bowl became a classic with about 10:00 left.  Arizona's drive straight through the defense, capped by Fitzgerald's first TD, turned the game around.  The Cardinals owned the game from there all the way through Fitzgerald's second TD, which was a fantastic bit of playcalling by the Cards. 

And then the "prevent" defense kicks in.  And the Steelers pick away at it, Holmes busts one down to the 5, then snags one in the corner of the end zone.  Ballgame.  It was a great one, but I would've preferred to see the Cardinals win - especially after that bullshit cheap shot by one of the Steelers late in the fourth quarter.  I'm pleased that pissant Clark didn't really get to put a hurting on anyone with his cheap hit style of play. 

Some random thoughts:
* The result at least keeps my "Streak for the Cash" streak alive at a (ahem) personal best of 4.
* "Ben" is big and slow...and runs around in the pocket all the time, yet nobody can catch him.  This astounds me.  I'm equally as slow, and if it were me in the pocket, I'd get clobbered. 
* Here's to Brenda Warner for, quite possibly, one of the greatest non-reality show makeovers of all time. 
* This game hinged on that 100-yard INT TD return, in which about six Cardinals could've stopped it, not the least of which was Kurt Warner who not only threw the poor INT but could've at least tried to direct Woodson out of bounds. 
* Too much officiating, although there weren't any calls that I saw which appeared to be wrong. 
* She talks like she's on quaaludes, and her pregame bit on Kurt Warner was far too poetic, but I've got a mute button on my screen, and I'll gladly press it if I need to just to get more Alex Flanagan in my life. 

And, of course, the Springsteen recap.  My expectations were tampered somewhat only due to the environment he was playing in.  These halftime boondoggles have historically been played with smallish crowds around the stage of people who looked like they were paid to be there.   Tonight, with a bigger stage and a fuller field, this actually felt like a concert.  Points are deducted for the trimming of verses from the songs - I'd rather have seen a "10th Avenue"..."Working on a Dream"..."Born to Run" set with the full songs delivered, but I understand why they did what they did. 

But despite any nits I can pick, I have to say that this was very well done.  Far and away the best halftime show ever - even outpacing U2 back in '02.  The Boss' schtick at the open was outstanding.  The band sounded great - the choir for "Dream" was a very nice touch and added something to the song.  I could do without the fireworks and the referee schtick at the end, but I get it too. 

Give the Cadillac and the trip to Disney to the Boss

Steven Van Zandt: It'ssssss BOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSS Tiiiiiiimmmmmmmmeeeee!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post! Agree pretty much across the board... damn funny, I said the same things about Flanagan (told The Dear And Patient Wife, "that bitch needs to cut back on the Quaaludes before a game!") AND the big-hair version of the lovely Mrs. Warner.

And as I Twittered at the time: Workin' on a Dream - way to sense the moment, Bruce!