Friday, June 27, 2008

AIPS: Razz

Disclaimer: I know full well that the play in these events is going to be, um, less than stellar.  I expect wacky things to happen.  That's why I specifically laid out a strategy to help me avoid as much wackiness as possible and hopefully capitalize on the poor choices of others.  The strategy is as follows.

a) Play nothing with a 9 or higher in it to start
b) Play nothing with an 8-6 or 8-7 in an early spot
c) Run from any and all bricks on 4th street unless the opponent(s) bricked worse
d) Play good hands hard.  Punish people for trying to come at me with crap
e) Always remember that it's better to get the eff out of a Razz MTT early than stick around and be the bubble boy.  My priorities are 1) win, 2) get KOed very early, 3) anything else. 

Got all that?  Good.  Then here we go. 

15 minutes into the festivities I'm down to 1410 in chips and am dealt [3 6]5.  There are two 4s, two 5s, and a 7, 8, and 9 showing, not a great board, but I'll see another card.  A 4 completes in front, I call and it's heads up. 
4th st: The 4 gets a J.  I get a K.  He bets and I call...surely not the wisest call, but I still have three babies, and I've seen some pretty aggressive play from this guy so far.  He lands a T on 5th while I get a J.  Buh bye. 

Five minutes later, I have 1295 chips and see [5 A]6 to start.  I complete it, and the bring in (J) calls me.  Lovely.  On 5th street, he has J 8 6 showing vs. my 6 9 7.  I'm still ahead, I'm still betting every street, and he's still calling.  Uh oh. I pair my 7 on 6th street while he picks up an Ace.  He leads out and may have just made an 8-6.  At this point, I know where three of the deuces and all of the threes and fours are - hidden (either in the deck or buried cards).  I've got lots of outs here.  Well I get a 8 on 7th street for a measely 8-7.  He checks, I check behind and he made the 8-6.  The hand history shows he had [3 3]J.  I'll assume that FT reshuffled it for display, but my God, even with [2 3]J, that's some sketchy play. 

Now I'm down to 1000 chips.  A few hands later, I get [A 4]5, complete it, get called by the same guy.  Then I get a Q on 4th and release.  950 chips.

This one really irked me.  I'm now anted down to 900 chips and start with [4 8]5.  There's a dead 2, 3, and 6 so this isn't ideal, but I need to get some chips - even via stealing.  It folds to me, I complete, and yet again the bring-in (T) calls.  Long story short:
*** 6TH STREET ***
Dealt to Seitz333 [Tc 3h 7s] [2c]
Dealt to djm182 [4d 8c 5h 7c Kh] [9c]
Seitz333 bets 100
djm182 folds

684 chips left.

Then for 25 straight hands, I release on 3rd street.  Thank you very much for coming.  384 chips left.  At long last, with [6 7]A, I complete early, and get called by two other ace door cards behind.  They get a T and J respectively on 4th street.  Good news, huh?  Not when I get a K.  The T properly leads out and I release.  Down to 289 chips.

And I release the next dozen hands on 3rd street.  Only 84 chips left behind now and we're 45 minutes into this.  THIS IS NOT HOW I PICTURED IT!!!

Now here is the hand that sets me over the edge.  With 84 chips left I'm dealt [6 4]2.  I'm second after the bring-in and I complete it for all I've got.  It folds around (damn) to the bring-in who calls with

...wait for it...

[6 Q]Q. 

What an unabashed prick.  Fittingly, he makes quad Queens on 5th street and I triple up to 258 chips. 

Two hands later, I see [8 2]4.  A 6 in front of me completes, I raise and we get it all-in on 3rd.  He has [A 2]6.  I peel off trip 8s by 5th street, followed by a T and a J and that's that. 

Just a completely fucking brutal session, highlighted by a bad run of cards and some horrific play into me that was inappropriately rewarded.

The good news?  I made the whole buy-in back and more in about 45 minutes of Micro PLHE.  I never thought cash games would subsidize my SNG/MTT play, but that's the case lately. 

1 comment:

gadzooks64 said...

At least you got your buyin back. I sat a few rounds at a PLHE table and left down 3$. Sigh.