Monday, June 16, 2008

Recap

Thoughts since I've last blogged...

* We shot 62 in a scramble at Hiland last Thursday.  Went -10 over the last 13 holes.  I hit the driver pretty well, but never struck a solid iron or a good chip shot all day.  Heck of a finish though and I can't wait to return the 15 yellow pro staffs I won in a raffle.  Sigh.

* Had the home game on Saturday night.  This one should be called the barn game - it was actually played in a barn.  The Cliffs' Notes version is that I wasn't dealt much - 44 was my biggest pocket pair in 3+ hours, and I had AKs once, AQs once and AQo once.  Did the best I could - until I got down to heads up and even-stacked with an aggressive player.  When dealing, I dealt K6 to myself and threw in a K6 raise.  He went all-in.  Earlier on he had run me off of hands that I had come in on with marginal holdings.  Thought that just maybe he was trying to do it again so I called.  He had ATs and flopped a T to close me out.  Bad move on my part - not just that particular hand but not figuring out a strategy for the situation.  The right way to play would be to see every reasonable flop and trap him.  I firmly believe I could outplay him heads up but I took myself out of that chance right out of the gate. 

* Tiger.  Wow.  People still don't realize how great he truly is.  He did this with just a week or two of practice after a long layoff and a surgery, and he did it with quite a bit of pain.  Hats off to Rocco, who I was pulling for for sentimental reasons - not the least of which is that he's 45 and likely will never have this shot again.  All that said, I'd sure like to see Tiger with his A-game again.  I don't think we've seen the A in some time now, but his B or C game is still better than everyone else's A. 

The playoff was amazing, only to end in very anticlimactic and depressing fashion. 

No comments: