Thursday, June 19, 2008

Oh the calls that we make

In total, it was a good night of online play for me.  Something triggered me to sign up for a $5 45-player SNG.  While it was coming together, I sat at a micro PLHE table.  I quickly doubled up my stack with good-but-not-great hands against a table full of fair-but-not-good players that didn't know how to fold.  I would've done better here except for an AA<QQ hand later on.  I shut this down at the first break in the SNG up a buy-in - so I'm freerolling in the SNG. 

The SNG played amazingly passive.  I kept stealing early on with all sorts of stuff.  I lost one big pot with something like AQ losing to A9, but quickly recouped that stack and more.  I held the chip lead for a while and made it to the final table in good position - either 1st or 2nd in chips. 

At this point, there were a couple of short stacks but mostly 6-7 equally sized stacks and we were rapidly approaching the 10BB level.  I folded lots, watched a fair amount of people get their chips in questionably, and finally made the bubble (after I called a short stack shove where my AQ actually beat A9). 

Here's where it sucked.  With three players left, I had about 38k of the remaining chips.  One player had about 8k, and the third player had the balance.  I'm dealt A6 in position, and see a 534 flop.  The aforementioned third player shoves his ~20k stack in.  I have two overcards, a OESD, but nothing else.  Yet for some reason I felt compelled to call here.  He turns over 52 which hurts - he has a hand, he too has an OESD, and his 2 takes away one of my outs.  Plus any 6 or A now kills me. 

Needless to say, this was a terrible spot:
http://twodimes.net/h/?z=4824402
pokenum -h 5h 2s - ac 6d -- 5c 3d 4s
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing 4s 5c 3d
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
2s 5h 712 71.92 257 25.96 21 2.12 0.730
Ac 6d 257 25.96 712 71.92 21 2.12 0.270
He rivered the straight, not that he needed to, but that made me a distant second.  In the very next hand, I'm the BB and see 44.  The button folds, the short stacked SB shoves and I call.  He tables Jc6c - as if he had an ounce of fold equity.  The bastard rivers a J and now I'm down to one BB.  I move in with K5 the very next hand and so ends my night. 

Why on earth did I call with that OESD?  Really the only time I got chips in bad all night but I had to do it at the end. 

Patience.  Slow down.  When will I learn?

No comments: