Wednesday, April 16, 2008

CHIMPS HORSE

I need to go through the hand history on this one because I was shell-shocked on how rapidly I went from 3rd/23 runners to the rail in 16th place.  I had a few good drawing hands early on in the stud games and hit at least my fair share.  This got me up high.  I kind of leveled off from 2000 - 2800 chips through most of the second orbit, but took a few hits as we got back around to the Stud games.

Finally LHE came back around and I hate short-stacked limit hold'em, particularly with a big stack to my right.  He raised all the time and I kept laying down these suck ass hands.  He would *always* raise in the cutoff or OTB if it folded around to him and as bad as I wanted to set a trap, I never could. 

This knocked me down to about 1200 chips as we moved into Razz.  Around this time the tables consolidated, so we're playing full 8-handed.  On one of my first razz hands, I'm dealt 563.  I "lucked" into a second 3 on 4th st, but my sole remaining opponent got a high card (as I recall - I need to go back through this) so I stuck around.  Yeah, probably a mistake, but I'm so short now I can't sit and wait for three parts to a wheel to start.  5th street brings an 8...and so does 6th street and I have to fold to his fairly unimpressive board.  The very next hand I get 526.  Well I'm down to around 500 chips so this is definitely go time.  I'm all in before 4th street, and my board comes out 5266Q53.  Bleech. 

Despite every intention of playing lockbox tight in this event, it sure seemed like I was in a lot of pots.  I think I got a little sloppy in LHE the final time around.  This is a good session for me to sit and thoroughly review. 

I capped off the night with one of these damned Turbo NLHE shovefests.  I hate turbos - and play them only when the clock dictates that I need to.  I chip up early when I limp in from EP with 99, call a pre-flop min raise, and see a wonderful 9AK flop.  Every A and every K is sticking around for this one, me thinks.  Sure enough, I outlasted A-rag and K-rag and doubled up in a hurry.  From there I put the brakes on and coasted to the final 5.  By this point the blinds are insanely high (<10BBs for me) and I picked a few good enough spots to steal and keep my stack stable. 

The guy to my left at this point starts getting frisky.  With about 4k of the 13.5k chips in play, he goes into full blown pushmonkey mode.  He shoved and got called THREE times - each time turning over the worst hand and each time sucking out.  It was usually his two unpaired cards vs. an overcard and a middle card to his holdings.  Now I'm ITM with him and some other mook.  Give me something...anything.  Well the second guy tries to call pushmonkey's bluff but his efforts were futile.  Finally it's me and the pushmonkey, and my 5:1 chip disadvantage.  I forget the cards, but I had something like K8s and shoved.  All of a sudden his clock starts ticking down.  Finally he makes the call and flips over AQs.  If he truly was slow-rolling me, eff him.  But damn the luck - I'd just about guarantee that of all the times he pushed, including those where he didn't get called, this was one of if not the best holdings to fall in his lap. 

And it's another ~$0.00 night for me. 

No comments: