Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Night of FTP Bloodletting

Last night was just a brutal session on FTP. 

In a PLO8 Turbo, I chip up nicely, and then late into the event (on the bubble) get dealt AAxx - one of the Xs was low.  The flop came AQx with one spade.  I bet out and get called by the bigger stack to my left with AQ25.  The 2 and 5 are spades.  The fact that I lost to a 5-high flush is irrelevant, I thought I played the hand well, and I surely got the chips in ahead. 

So it's on to a NLHE Turbo.  Again, I chip up, and as we're approaching the bubble, I make a 3x raise from EP with 88.  I'd driven a lot of people out of pots with action from EP and hoped to do it again, rather than limp and hope to dodge a raise.  Well a LAG moron who was down to <1000 chips but recovered by constantly shoving and either inducing folds or sucking out comes over the top.  His range is broad, and I'm probably in a coin flip.  Folding leaves me short and so I call.  He has AQ and I'm put out of my misery quickly by an Ace.  I spewed at this fool in the chat box.  Not quite sure he understood the source of my anger - it wasn't over the AQ vs 88 hand, it was over his complete recklessness and lucksackery to finally land a hand of value in this spot.  Of course I got the usual "It's only $6" in return.  What he doesn't understand is that I'm every bit as pissed if it's $1 or $100 - it's the caliber of play that I'm interested in, not the size of the prize pool.  This burns my toast at the home game as well. 

And lastly, instead of calling it a night like I should have, I try one more NLHE Turbo.  It's still pretty early when it folds to me in the SB with Ad3d.  I should've raised here, make no mistake, but with a pretty loose guy in the BB, I decided to just limp and try to flop something.  Well I did.  The flop was 234 rainbow.  I bet out just less than the pot and he calls.  The turn is a 5 and I bet now about 5/7ths of the pot and he comes over the top all-in.  Did he call me with a gutshot?  I have to find out.  Sure enough - he had 62 for bottom pair, and a gutshot.  WP, asshat. 

Tonight is the CHIMPS finale.  NLHE Deep Stack.  Yummy.  My strategy - go deep or go home early. 

No comments: