Thursday, April 24, 2008

Stud 8 Goodness

In a sudden and dramatic turn of events, I had a very good session at the microlimit Stud 8 table last night.  Before I get into the play, first some comments.

1) For whatever reason, I'm far more comfortable in limit cash games than in no limit.  Maybe it's the microscopic nature of my bankroll, maybe it's that the fucktards who sit down with $2000 at a .25/.50 limit game are harmless, or maybe it's just that I prefer games where you can draw out to your straights/flushes without big plays at the pots by idiots who have A7 and see a A42 flop. 

2) I couldn't get an immediate seat at a HORSE cash game, and after my Stud 8 session, I decided this was a very good thing.  First, I'm quickly coming into the camp of several Ante Uppers that Omaha is the game of Omatards.  And yes, while I should be able to beat that, it also comes with a higher-than-normal likelihood of inducing tilt. 

3) Missing out on another 10, 20, or 30 hands of Razz isn't a bad thing. 

Onto the Stud 8 play.
* The second hand in, I have [5d 8h] [6c].  I complete as it's only 5-handed and the only other low card out is 7c.  He calls, the others fold.  I make an 876 on 5th street, never complete the straight, and am perfectly happy to check it down to his sfobv 2-pair, but he insists on betting out on 7th street despite having no shot at the low.  I love these people and I hate them too.

* I get dealt A46 the very next hand, complete it, but get repopped by 9s and see that called by 6s.  I call, pair my 6 on 4th st, draw a Q on 5th and walk away from this.  I figure "here we go again."  I was wrong. 

* A few hands later I'm dealt [Ad 2s] [8c].  It's completed in front by Ts and called by 8s.  I come along for the ride, along with Qh.  God I love Stud8 sometimes.  I check-call 4th when I get 7h and nobody drops out.  On 5th street I get 3c to make a low, albeit a weak one.  TQT in front of me bets out and I repop it.  The guy with 8s now has 3d and a brick and I want to see where he's at.  Of course he's coming along for the ride.  On 6th street I get 4c to make a 74 low.  I bet out and the only viable low draw now folds.  We check 7th street and chop it.  I'm now up $0.50.

* Later I'm dealt [3c 8h] [2s] and get the bring-in.  Two limpers behind.  I pick up 4h.  It's checked to me, I bet it and both call.  On 5th street I land 6c for a made low.  The guy to act before me has 7 4 3 showing, though.  Again it checks to me.  I bet and both guys call.  6th street lands me a beautiful ace for a made 64.  Better yet, the 743 lands a 9.  Even better, he calls me.  7th street blanks and he takes the high pot with a measely pair of 7s.  Still I'm up a buck at this point. 

* Now the first big one.  I'm about 15 minutes in and I'm dealt [6h 5c] [7h] but there are a A, 3, 4 and 8 showing on other boards.  The 4 completes, I call along with three others and we go five-way.  I pick up 9h giving me a backdoor flush draw and a gutshot.  4s Js bets and everyone calls.  Next I get 3d, but nobody else can realistically be chasing a low here so I call a $1 bet with my low draw and double gutshot.  Two players get out of the way here.  6th street is to die for - 4d.  I have a made straight and now a 76 low.  This time it's checked in front of me and when I bet out, both remaining players call.  7th street pairs my 7.  The guy holding [Ad Qc Qh] [Th] bets out, I repop him and he makes a crying call with what was two pair - Aces and Queens. It's a $9.05 pot and I now have $14.75 in front. 

* About 10 minutes later, I play my next hand with [7s 6s] [8h].  I hate playing 87 or 86 draws in this game, and there's a 2, 4, and 5 out along with two other hearts, but I decide to come along.  Long story short, some mook playing [Ah As 4d] checked on 4th and 5th street with nothing particularly scary out there on anyone's board, and I made three pair (ha) to scoop a high-only pot.  $5.05 more and now I have $17. 

* Now with [Ac 3s] [2d], I complete and get this aforementioned mook to come along with his 6h.  Everyone else folded, meaning that an A, two other 2s, two 4s and a 7 are all dead, so lots of low cards are gone.  Despite Jh vs. his Kc on 4th, I bet out.  He check/called it.  5th street gave me 7s and gave him 9c.  He checked and for whatever reason, I checked behind.  I picked up 3h on 6th street, and he got 4s.  This time, he check/folded.  He must've had 64x (all low) to start. 

* Finally I limp in with [Th 3h] [6h], only because no other hearts are out.  Four others come to the flop and I get Ks.  I'm folding to any bet here, but none come.  Well 5th street brings Jh and now I'm locked in.  Two other hearts came on 4th - both Qh and Kh, but no obvious flush draws remain so may be any old flush will do.  Interestingly, the player showing [Ts Kc] [Kh] just checks.  [8c 5s] [As]bets out, and I call along with the kings.  6th street...the lovely and talented Ah lands in my lap.  The low draw and I four bet it, finally forcing the Kings to fold.  We check 7th street and chop the pot. 

* Now I have $19.20 in front, 35 minutes after I sat down with $8.  Unfortunately I had other things to do and thought this would be a good time to get out.  Fortunately, I stood up with a smile because this was hands down my best session ever on Full Tilt. 

Yeah, I caught some very good cards in there, but it's reassuring to have a good session once in a while - regardless of how it happens.

This represents two very good nights in a row - a sure sign that tonight will suck ass.

No comments: