Wednesday, April 30, 2008

March of the Omatards

They're everywhere.  And I ran into two of them in a HORSE SNG last night.  After taking an early chip lead by rivering broadway in the very first hand, I had a few chips to play with and decided to see a flop in O8 with AKKQ single suited from mid position.  The player to my right raised it to 80.  I called but if someone three-bets this, I'm perfectly happy getting out of the way if I miss the flop. 

The flop is K67 so I've nailed top set.  It's bet in front of me, raised by me, then reraised behind and ultimately capped by me.  The turn brings a 9 and puts a second heart on the board.  I called a two-bet here.  The river put a third heart out - I forget the rank - and it checked all around. 

Here's the holdings:
* The preflop raiser flips over AT85 (single suited, not in the Ace) for a turned straight with no flush.  He raised from MP with this pre and post-flop.  Post-flop I can kind of understand, with a double gutter, though I'd rather keep that pot small.  He turned the straight. 
* The SB called off 60 more chips preflop with AKT8 (also single suited, not in the Ace).  He too turned the straight. 
* There was another caller who had squat. 

Those two monkeys chopped the pot with their T-high straights, and I'm down from 2500 chips to 1700 - still above average, but I was in a real nice spot before this. 

And for whatever reason, I decided to type "wp omatards" into the chat box.  This is a real bad habit that I've gotten into - calling out bad play.  But this one got me on edge.

Now the fun begins as one of the omatards berates me for capping it on the turn when there were two possible straights on board.  Certainly that's a berateable offense - had I actually capped it on the turn.  But I didn't.  There's NO WAY I'm folding there and NO WAY I'm raising either.  Bottom line - I got away from this hand as cheaply as possible.

Well the dialogue continues and he defends his play in sticking around past the flop because he "had top pair and a gutshot."  In Omaha H/L.  wp, indeed, sir.  He failed to mention his draw to an 876xA low as well.  Ugh. 

I folded just about everything through the stud games, then chased a hand to the turn w/ AJo in LHE and had to surrender.  Now I'm down to ~1100 chips.  From there I played very tight, held on through an interminable bubble, watched the aforementioned omatards go belly up, and made the money.  I got it back up to ~2500 chips but couldn't hold on and went out 3rd. 

It's frustrating because I WANT people playing O8 that badly at my table, but yet I don't want them to hit middling straights with their unplayable hands. 

No comments: