Thursday, May 22, 2008

More PLHE Goodness

I sat at a 6-handed PLHE micro table again last night, and after one ugly beat early on, left up with a slight profit in about 90 minutes worth of play.  Two to my left was a very interesting player - his VP$IP was perfectly in line at around 20%, but if this guy saw a flop and connected with it in the slightest, he was NOT folding. 

Case in point: I had him targeted, and when he min-raised from UTG+1, I called from the BB w/ K5s.  The flop was K-high (KTx, I believe) with only one suited card for me, still I felt I was ahead of him.  I checked and he bet pot.  I re-popped it for pot again which put me all-in - surely an aggressive (at best) move, but I'd seen this guy constantly C-bet and he can't have it all the time.  Well his timer starts ticking down and now I know I'm ahead.  All of a sudden he calls and turns over AJo - for a gutshot with an overcard.  The turn blanks but he rivers an Ace and I have to dip back into the piggy bank.  I asked him what he was thinking and he responded "I just said #(@% it."  Indeed. 

No worries, as now this guy has some more chips and he's probably not going anywhere. 

I ended up taking two pretty sizeable pots off of him - the latter that felted him with a play that I wouldn't make versus anyone who I hadn't IDed as a Grade A mook.  I had 99 UTG and made a pot size bet.  He re-pots it as next to act.  It folds around to me and I call.  The flop is 7 3 2 rainbow.  God bless him if he has TT+, but I think he's more likely to have some naked ace.  I bet pot and he comes over the top for a bit more, going all-in.  I instacall and he turns over....wait for it....KQo.  Brick, brick, and now I gots all the bastard's chips.  Yum.  Sadly, he got up and left right then and there, and since it was late and since the blinds were about to pass through me, I did the same. 

I turned on RealTime for the first time in, well, a long time.  It's a pretty rudimentary but useful tool.  Give me simple stats on pre-flop raises, VP$IP, aggression, etc. and it makes it so much easier to focus in on your targets.  Late in the session, a player with VP$IP >70 sat to my right.  I was never able to take a big pot off this fish, but given enough time to sit there, it could've been a payday. 

Tonight is AIPS NLHE Rebuy.  This should be verrryyyy interesting.  Hopefully the turnout is strong, hopefully nobody bails within the first hour, hopefully I make it deep, and hopefully it doesn't take half the night.  With 100+ participants, an hour worth of cheap rebuys, plus a one-hour add-on, there should be a bajillion chips in play.  I don't think it's a turbo either.  Yikes. 

-----
Sounds like heads may soon be rolling in Flushing.  I have no idea who a possible replacement could be, but right now I think just about any change is warranted.  This team is lifeless, the pressure clearly got to Willie with his racism comments, and ownership cannot justify this kind of performance with a roster with that kind of talent.  Yeah, they're probably a 90-win roster at best, but dropping 6 of the last 7 divisional games is sad, sad, sad. 

No comments: